Wednesday, April 2, 2014

DIY Garland





I recently made a garland out of a print I purchased in 2009.

photo via Lena Corwin


It was the limited edition Lena Corwin + Mociun print.
Unforunately part of the print got destroyed in our move, but I hung onto the
print because I loved it so much! To give it new life, I decided to make a garland out of it.
A print is already printed on thicker high quality paper so it is ideal for making a garland.

Here's how I did it:


1. Cut the print into little squares. My squares are imperfect, I didn't make them all the same.
    I wanted to keep the organic quality of the original print. You can use any print. I think a colorful
    print would be nice however.


2. Glue the squares onto an old file folder. I used Tacky Glue. Make sure the glue is applied evenly.
    Let dry. I placed heavy books on top of mine so that they dried nice and flat and prevent curling.
    This will give each square a little weight and make it hang nicely.


3. Punch holes into each corner. I outlined each hole with a gold Sakura marker for that extra touch.


4. Now for the fun part. String them. I used a waxed string similar to this one.
    Make a knot then string them front to back, then back to front and make another
    knot. Space them about 1 1/2 inches apart.


5. Hang and enjoy!



Happy Crafting!